Volunteering at VITA
Volunteering at VITA
Valley of the Sun United Way is recruiting volunteers to support Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites in the West Valley. Volunteers will assist individuals and families in preparing their taxes for free, claiming benefits for which they are eligible, and being connected to financial education and asset building opportunities. No tax preparation experience is necessary and free training is provided.
During the 2011-12 tax season more than 50 volunteers contributed over 2,200 hours of their time to prepare tax returns in the West Valley. Over $1 million was refunded to 680 households in the community as a direct result of their efforts. No tax preparation experience is necessary. Free training is provided.
We can only succeed with volunteers like you
- No tax preparation experience needed
Only the spirit of volunteerism is needed.
- Flexible Hours
You can volunteer daytime, evenings or weekends.
- No Liability
Volunteers are covered under the Federal Volunteer Protection Act of 1997.
- Gain Experience
Great opportunity to gain professional experience.
Volunteers are asked to commit to at least 25 hours during the upcoming tax season - from late January until April 15, 2012.
Training courses to become IRS Certified as a VITA volunteer begin in November and run through January. The course is available online or through classroom trainings that will be held at several locations around Maricopa County.
- Total classroom time required to become IRS Certified is about 24 hours.
- Online Link & Learn Taxes training is available on the IRS website so users may learn at their own pace to gain Certification.
- Volunteers not interested in preparing tax returns are also needed at VITA sites to assist with greeting and screening eligible tax payers. To learn more, click here.
- Interpreters are needed to assist Spanish-speaking tax payers.
- All volunteers must take the IRS Standards of Conduct course.
Questions? Please contact Judy DeMass at email@example.com or 602.631.4860.